Juvenile Drug Crimes
Criminal Defense Attorney in Reno – (775) 574-4774
Most teenagers are well behaved and do not wish to have any conflicts with the law and criminal justice system. However, many teens will experiment with illegal drug use without realizing the potential consequences of being caught, arrested, and convicted. As such, a large portion of all juvenile crime arrests are based on drug crimes.
Juveniles arrested for drug crimes will most likely be charged with:
- Possession: Nevada has recently legalized the possession of less than one ounce of marijuana for recreational use, but this leniency only applies to adults. Juveniles found with even the smallest amount of marijuana or cannabis can be arrested and charged with possession.
- Distribution: Juveniles usually partake in illegal drug use in groups, rather than alone. If there is reason to believe that one teenager is enabling the others, he or she may be charged with distribution in addition to possession.
If your teenage son or daughter has been implicated in a drug crime, Joey Gilbert Law and our Reno drug crimes attorneys are here to help. We are well-versed in both regular criminal court procedures and those of juvenile courts to better protect your child from the heavy consequences of an arrest or conviction.
Start your case with a free consultation. Contact us today.
Penalties of Juvenile Drug Crimes Convictions
Law enforcement agencies can be overzealous when prosecuting teens and minors accused of drug crimes due to the prevalent belief that it only takes one teen to influence an entire school or group into taking drugs. This is clearly a large assumption but it is one that will impact how the prosecution sees the case, and what consequences could be waiting on the other side of a conviction.
Juveniles convicted of drug crimes may:
- Spend time incarcerated at a juvenile facility
- Struggle to find employment
- Be removed from certain classes with certain other juveniles
- Be rejected from many educational institutions following high school
The reputation damage done by a single juvenile drug crime conviction can be extensive. Its reach will be greater than a similar conviction against an adult, as a juvenile may likely have more upcoming opportunities to succeed. Such chances will be hampered severely by a drug crime conviction on their juvenile record. To have the best future possible, the charges must be fought tenaciously.
Standing Up for Your Child’s Rights
When you retain Joey Gilbert Law and our Reno juvenile crimes lawyers for your juvenile drug crimes case, you will be putting an entire team of criminal defense attorneys on your side. We are serious about protecting the youth’s chances for greatness and keeping the juvenile criminal justice system honest. Since the prosecution has surely already gotten to work on its case, there is no time to lose. Call (775) 574-4774 or use an online contact form now to learn more about how you can defend your juvenile from serious drug crime charges.