Motorcycle Safety Becomes a Priority in Preparation for Street Vibrations Rally
The annual Street Vibrations Motorcycle Festival is set for September 27 through October 1, 2017. The popular celebration will draw more than 50,000 motorcycle enthusiasts to several locations across the region, including Reno, Tahoe, Carson City, and Virginia City. As local residents and out-of-towners prepare for the event, local officials are reminding everyone that safety should always be a priority.
With more vehicle traffic, more motorcyclists on the road, and more celebration, Street Vibrations brings a number of potential hazards to our roadways, and increases the risks of auto accidents. Whether you are a motorcycle enthusiast or not, if you’re in Reno or any of the other cities where the event is to be held, there are a few important risks you should be aware of:
- Increased traffic – With Reno and the surrounding areas swelling to accommodate the 50,000+ guests attending Street Vibrations, local roads and highways will see a substantial increase in traffic. As such, all motorists need to be prepared and take steps to protect their safety and the safety of others around them. Be sure to always travel at safe speeds, including reduced speeds in stop and go traffic. Drivers should also always be aware of their surroundings prior to making driving moves.
- Sharing the road – Motorcycle riders have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers of motor vehicles. As such, both riders and drivers should take steps toward safely sharing the road, including making safe lane changes, traveling and passing as save speeds and distances, signaling before turns, and yielding the right of way. Drivers should also exert extra caution and vigilance for riders around them.
- Out-of-town motorists – Just as the summer months often bring an increase in tourists and out-of-town motorists navigating local roads, events like Street Vibrations also bring more tourists to the area. This includes tourists who are not familiar with local roads and laws. As such, motorists and local residents should take this into consideration and be sure to follow at a safe distance, as out-of-town motorists are prone to making sudden driving maneuvers.
In addition to preparing for the unique risks that accompany Street Vibrations, motorcyclists should also do their part to prepare and make safety a priority. Here are a few essential tips if you plan on celebrating at the upcoming festival:
- Give you bike a thorough checkup before any road trip out to Reno and prior to riding your bike to an around the event.
- Always obey the rules of the road and share the road with other motorists.
- Ride sober, or plan for a sober ride when you do choose to celebrate with alcohol or marijuana. Although cannabis is now legal in the state of Nevada, law enforcement still enforces laws when it comes to marijuana DUIs.
- Make yourself visible at all times, especially at night. Use your headlights, wear bright or reflective gear, and ensure drivers of vehicles see you before you change lanes, turn, or enter traffic. Never assume that other drivers will see you.
- Watch out for roadway conditions, including potholes and debris. Even small roadway defects can cause big problems for riders, and there may be more than usual on the roads during the busy event.
Even when all precautions are taken, riders can still suffer injuries in preventable wrecks when others around them fail to make safety a priority. When this happens, our legal team at Joey Gilbert Law is available to help injured victims understand their rights and how they can take legal action against the at-fault party to secure a recovery of their damages through personal injury claims. Our Reno auto accident attorneys have decades of combines experienced fighting for the injured, and can help victims injured in any type of motorcycle wreck, pedestrian accident, or car accident.
For a FREE consultation, contact us.