Naturalization is the legal process through which a foreign citizen or national can become a U.S. citizen. Here, at Joey Gilbert and Associates our Attorneys work first hand with the federal binding authorities on a daily basis, this experience has given us a strong reputation amongst the Nevada Immigration community.
In order to be naturalized, an applicant must first be qualified to apply for citizenship. Then, he or she must complete an application, attend an interview, and pass an English and a Civics test. Upon successful completion of these steps, the applicant takes an oath of loyalty, and becomes a citizen. These legal requirements help the immigration service ensure that only those people who are sincere in their desire to become Americans become naturalized.
The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services states that applicants for naturalization must be:
- At least eighteen years old.
- A lawful permanent resident of the United States.
- Resident and physically present in the United States for at least five years at the time of application.
- Of good moral character.
The residency requirement has some exceptions for time outside the country that our attorneys here at Joey Gilbert & Associates can explain to you.
As part of your application, you will be fingerprinted. You will:
- Receive an appointment letter from the USCIS.
- Go to the fingerprint location.
- Get your fingerprints taken.
- Mail additional documents if requested.
The next step is the big one: the interview and tests. You will:
- Receive an appointment for your interview.
- Go to your local office at the specified time.
- Bring identification.
- Answer questions about your application and your background.
- Take the English and civics tests.
- Receive a decision.
If you are successful, you can take the final step: the oath of allegiance. You will:
- Receive a ceremony date.
- Check in at the ceremony.
- Return your Permanent Resident Card.
- Answer questions about what you have been doing since your interview.
- Take the oath of allegiance.
While this process is labor intensive, it yields high rewards. Trust in our experienced firm at Joey Gilbert & Associates to ensure the process is a successful one.