After a Car Accident Remember These 5 Tips
Being involved in a car accident can be a traumatic experience, especially if you or anyone involved suffers an injury. While it may be easier said than done, it’s important to remember that what you do and say following a wreck can have an impact on any future claim you file. Doing the correct things can help you and your attorney should you file a personal injury claim. On the other hand, making certain mistakes can potentially make your fight for compensation increasingly difficult.
At Joey Gilbert Law, our Reno car accident lawyers have helped countless individuals and families after they were harmed in auto accidents. Over the years, we have seen first-hand how the moments after a crash can impact our clients’ claims. To help you and your loved ones be better prepared for the unforeseen, we’ve put together a list of some helpful tips to remember after a car accident.
- Don’t Talk About Fault – After an accident, people are inclined to discuss what happened and whose fault it may have been. This is a crucial mistake to avoid. Never accept fault and never make any statements that could be interpreted as accepting fault for causing or even contributing to a crash. You might not have the full set of facts to determine who is really at fault. Let investigators, police, insurance adjusters, and personal injury lawyers work on figuring out who can be held responsible for the collision. You should also never discuss fault with insurance companies, and instead have an experienced lawyer handle communication with insurers on your behalf.
- Call the Police – Not everyone may enjoy interactions with law enforcement, but after an accident, calling the police is a good idea, even if the other driver makes statements that they can handle things without getting the cops involved. Law enforcement officers who respond to the scene can help with filing an accident report that covers the details of what may have occurred and the information of anyone involved, including witnesses. These can be helpful for later use in your claim. Police are third parties and should be objective when writing up reports. They can also assist with ensuring that anyone on scene receive the emergency treatment they need.
- Get All the Information You Can – Always make it a point to exchange information with other motorists and even witnesses involved in your collision. This includes contact information such as names, numbers, and addresses, as well as insurance information. Because some people may not always be honest, it’s a good idea to take note of the other vehicle’s license plate number and the make and model of their vehicle. Taking pictures of the scene, vehicles involved, and injuries that occurred can also help you in your case.
- Get the Medical Treatment You Need – Getting any emergency care for yourself or others injured in the crash should always be the top priority. In fact, Nevada law requires drivers to stop after a crash and render aid to injured victims if necessary. Apart from emergency care, it’s important to seek medical treatment for any injuries or symptoms you may be having after the wreck. Remember, you might not feel pain in the immediate aftermath of a crash due to adrenaline, and you may never know what’s exactly wrong until you see a doctor and get a proper evaluation. Seeking medical treatment as soon as you can when you need it is important not only to your health, but also to your injury claim, if you file one. Insurance companies commonly dispute claims involving people who waited to seek medical treatment by saying they must not have really been hurt – even if you were in pain the whole time.
- Speak to a Lawyer ASAP – After a crash, there is simply to substitute to contacting an attorney, explaining your situation, and seeking the advice and representation you need to ensure your right to compensation is protected. At Joey Gilbert Law, we make ourselves available at all hours, 7 days a week in order to help car accident victims when they need it most. Our team can handle communication with all parties involved, including insurance companies, help you obtain any needed medical treatment, and ensure that the correct steps are being taken to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
Injured in a car wreck in Reno or any of the surrounding communities of Nevada? Get your case reviewed for FREE and learn how Joey Gilbert Law may be able to help you during a free consultation.