Don't Drink and Drive This Cinco de Mayo
As most people already know, Cinco de Mayo is a holiday, which celebrates Mexico’s victory at the Battle of Puebla, which occurred in 1862. While many hold this holiday close to their hearts, many see this day as another holiday in which they can gather with family and friends, enjoy tasty Mexican dishes, and enjoy some delicious alcoholic beverages. Unfortunately, many individuals consume large amounts of alcohol and make poor decisions, like getting behind the wheel. Sadly, many people suffer fatal injuries as a result of these poor decisions.
In fact, the Nevada Department of Public Safety Office of Traffic Safety reports that from 2010 to 2014, 268 individuals were killed in drunk driving car accidents during the Cinco de Mayo period, with 33 people dead in 2014 alone.
The report also states the following:
- During the 2014 Cinco de Mayo period, 18% of drivers involved in deadly car accidents had blood alcohol concentrations of .15 or higher.
- During that same period, 25% of drivers involved in fatal accidents had blood alcohol concentrations of .08 or higher.
As a result, law enforcement teams will do their best to ensure road conditions are safe by keeping drunk drivers off the road.
Tips to Avoid a DUI on Cinco de Mayo
To avoid a drunk driving charge this holiday, consider the following tips our Reno DUI defense lawyers have listed below:
- Leave your keys at home or give your keys to a trusted loved one if you plan to drink.
- Plan to get a ride home before the festivities and any alcohol consumption begin.
- Download Uber, Lyft, or other taxi-service apps so that you are able to obtain a ride later in the evening.
- If your community offers sober ride programs on holidays such as Cinco de Mayo, use them.
- Plan to stay the night at the party venue if the festivities are held at a friend’s house.
- Call a sober family member or friend to deliver you home safely.
Arrested for Drunk Driving This Cinco de Mayo? Contact Joey Gilbert Law.
At Joey Gilbert Law, our Reno DUI defense lawyers are dedicated to protecting the rights of those accused of drinking and driving. Because we understand that many law enforcement officers grow overzealous on holidays such as Cinco de Mayo, our team stands ready to take your call any time of day or night. If you or someone you love is arrested for DUI, get in touch with a Reno DUI defense attorney from Joey Gilbert Law right away. We can appear at the scene and ensure the officer does not violate your rights.
For aggressive, top-tier legal representation, call Joey Gilbert Law or fill out a free consultation form online. Remember, these types of cases are time-sensitive, so it is in your best interest to call right away! We are ready to stand by your side.