3 Things You Should Know About DUIs Resulting in Injury
According to Nevada state law, NRS 484C.230, a person can be accused of DUI with Injury if a driver acts negligently and drives while impaired, causing physical harm or death to another person. Although this may seem straightforward, these types of charges can become highly complex.
To help you understand more about the law, our Reno DUI defense lawyer has listed three things you should know about DUIs resulting in Injury:
1. A Person Can Be Charged with a Misdemeanor or a Felony for a DUI with Injury Charge
In most cases, a person will be charged with a felony offense if they cause serious bodily harm or death to a person while driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. However, if the other person is not severely harmed, a criminal defense lawyer may be able to have a person’s charges reduced to a misdemeanor. Of course, the attorney would have to prove that the damages were not enough to be considered “serious bodily harm” or death.
2. If Convicted, the Penalties for Such an Offense Can Be Serious
If a person is convicted of driving under the influence and causing another driver harm as a result, the impaired driver may face heavy fines and serious consequences, including the following:
- A minimum of 2 years in Nevada State prison
- Prison sentence up to 20 years
- Fine ranging from $2,000 to $5,000
- License revocation or license suspension
- Mandatory Nevada ignition interlock device in order to reinstate rights to drive
3. A Skilled Lawyer May Be Able to Prove that Even Though a Person Was Driving Under the Influence, Alternate Conditions Led to the Other Person’s Injuries.
If an attorney can prove that another driver was not injured as a direct result of the individual’s impaired driving, the impaired driver may not be held responsible for the driver’s harm. In fact, an attorney can examine the following to determine whether the driver should actually be charged with DUI with Injury:
- Weather condition
- Road conditions
- Damage to each vehicle involved in the accident
- Related evidence such as statements from witnesses
- Police reports
We Can Fight for Your Rights 24/7
If you have been charged with DUI with Injury or with any other DUI-related offense, get in touch with our Reno DUI defense attorneys at Joey Gilbert Law right away. We can examine every aspect of your case and build a strong defense that can safeguard your rights and future. When it comes to these kinds of charges, we believe it is important to put experience on your side of the courtroom, and that is why we are here.
Do not hesitate for another moment. Contact our Reno criminal defense lawyers and let us fight to protect your freedom!