Drinking and driving is a serious crime, no matter what the age. However,
persons under the age of 21 are considered minors and are subject to some
unique laws and punishments if convicted of
DUI. In Nevada, law enforcement implements a “zero tolerance”
policy. This policy states that a minor with a blood-alcohol content of
at least 0.02 will be arrested for a DUI. However, this is just one of
the differences between underage DUIs and normal DUIs.
Below are 7 more differences to help you understand how underage DUI convictions
differ from normal DUIs.
- Underage DUI offenders must consent to a drug and alcohol evaluation. This
process is designed to determine whether the minor has a substance abuse
problem. Typically, the evaluation costs about $100.
- Underage DUI offenders will receive a license suspension for at least 90
days even if the minor’s BAC was below 0.08.
- Insurance companies may terminate insurance policies for underage DUI offenders.
If not, most insurance companies will increase the monthly premium cost
by $100 or more for a higher risk policy.
- If the insurance company raises an underage DUI offender’s monthly
premium, the premium may remain the same for 3 to 5 years, even if the
minor becomes of age during those years.
- Underage DUI offenders under the age of 18 will be prosecuted in Juvenile
Court if the DUI is considered misdemeanor-level.
- If the DUI is considered felony-level and the underage DUI offender is
under 18 years old, he / she may be certified as an adult. In this case,
the offender may be prosecuted in criminal court.
- Underage DUI offenders between the ages of 18-20 will be prosecuted as
adults in criminal court.
If You are Arrested for an Underage DUI Offense
If you or your child has been charged with a DUI under the age of 21, it
is important to speak to a Reno DUI attorney from Joey Gilbert Law
immediately. A DUI conviction can have negative effects on future school, housing,
and job opportunities. Remember, a DUI charge does not mean your child
has been convicted. By speaking with an experienced DUI defense lawyer,
you ensure you are seeking the best possibilities for your situation,
including reductions in penalties or dismissals.
Don’t wait. Make sure your rights are protected.
Call Joey Gilbert Law today!